For the outside of the craft we started by removing all deck fittings, screens and canopy. Stripped back all varnish to bare wood and fully sanded every inch. All chrome work was removed and polished and davit and mud pit were removed. The forward deck was covered in Trackmark which is no longer available, but it was in poor condition. Upon removal we found some gapping and uneven seams. All damaged parts were removed and the edges routed out. We painstakingly inserted new timber to match the existing and also reworked the forward deck hatch to ensure each part was identical in finish before any coats of varnish were applied. The aft deck was in need of considerable repair and so was removed in its entirety and a new one crafted from Iroko to match the forward deck and hatch.
The cockpit was stripped and fully sanded. The flooring was removed as were all switches, helm seat, dash panel and bench seating. Switches were replaced with traditional styled chrome versions and all existing chrome work was polished. The helm seat was completely redesigned incorporating a door panel behind which to conceal the fridge. The old vinyl flooring was replaced with solid wood and the dash panel was replaced with a chrome plated version.
The cabin was completely stripped out leaving just the bare carcass. The bilge was scrubbed out, treated for rot and repainted. The galley area was stripped, ready for the installation of new cabinetry, worktops, hob and sink. The water filter was removed and a new one resited beneath the sink in the new cabinets.
The toilet was also fully stripped in preparation for a redesigned layout and installation of new vanity unit fitted against the bulkhead and a new toilet housed within a solid wood unit. The flooring was replaced with solid wood throughout the cockpit and cabin and galley, with a non-slip PVC composite floor fitted in the heads.
The last stage of the project was to varnish the interior woodwork, flooring and cockpit with eight coats in order to achieve a deep lustre. This is the time consuming element as several days is required between coats to ensure that it is fully dry. The forward and aft decks were treated in just the same way and the hull and cabin top were repainted. The new upholstery was hand-made by our in-house upholstery team using a bold jade leather in the interior cabin, and complementary colour scheme to the helm seat and a cockpit seating, and finished off with a new canopy. Light fittings were refurbished where possible and new fittings were in keeping with the traditional styling of the boat. New galley cabinetry with bespoke leather handles and light avonite worktops make this a bright and clean environment with a new calor gas hob.
The end result is a sympathetic restoration of a charming wooden craft with a contemporary bold twist, creating a stylish cruiser ready for many more years of cruising. If you have a restoration project that you would like to discuss with us, or need repairs or interior upgrade, then please contact one of the team who would be delighted to help you.